Sunday, September 28, 2008

How to Make Your Vision Statement Work Faster

My last topic about vision statements and maybe the most important.....HOW TO MAKE THEM WORK FASTER?



I can't stress it enough. Make them vivid. Make them feel real. Make them invigorating. Get your emotions going and have a burning desire. I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, but would I keep saying it if it wasn't so important? No way!



I know for a fact that some of you have your vision statements written. Now what I want you to do is print out about 5 copies. One for the nightstand, one for the car, one for the bathroom, one for the coffee table, and one to keep in your purse or wallet. You should have access to it at all times. You are going to read it out loud at least once per day. And you are going to read it silently at least twice per day. The more times you read it, the more times you will tell it to your subconscious mind, and the quicker your subconscious mind can start working on it for you. Like running up that flight of stairs (reference "Why Vision Statements Work"). When you read it out loud you are stimulating your senses visually, mentally, and audibly. The more stimulation you have, the more real it becomes to the subconscious.

My two year old son loves for me to read my vision statement out loud to him, he sits there with a big grin on his face and says "read more mama, read more!" There are times when he actually brings my vision statement to me and asks me to read it to him. On some days I may read my statement out loud 9 or 10 times.

One of my great stock market trading instructors had told me, well the whole class, to stand in front of the mirror every morning and repeat 3 times "I am a great trader". We all laughed at the thought at first and then we realized he wasn't joking. He said if we said it enough we would start believing it and we would trade better, smarter, and more relaxed. The "key" as he put it was to say it out loud. Boy, if he only knew how powerful that lesson really was.

1 comment:

Andrea Coe said...

Its 6 a.m. and Bob wakes me gently. We always get up together and talk quietly about the day ahead of us to make sure that we are on the same page as far as activities for the kids and our work plans. While we are discussing the days events we walk downstairs together and he makes us both a steamy latte, he has the white chocolate mocha of course and mine is still sugar with a little bit of espresso and milk. The kids are waking up at this time, now 6:30 a.m. While they dress I am making breakfast as Daddy prepares the lunches, and stuffs thier bookbags. We all eat breakfast at 7a.m. I am on duty today at the hospital so I drop the kids at school, and Bob heads into town to our family owned coffee/sandwich shop.

After the kids are at school I head to work, I love my job!! Being a medical examiner may not be the most glamorous of jobs but since I was very young, I have been interested in forensics, and it allows me to give a voice to those who no longer have one. As well as answers to grieving families who need closure and in some cases justice for a victim of homicide.

I leave work at 3 p.m. and head to get the kids, Bob is finishing up the lunch rush and will be leaving the cafe in an hour and will meet us at home for the kids riding lessons. When the kids get in our jet black oddyssey they clammer over eachother, each one trying to tell me about thier day. We have Alyssa's ballet and Shane and Parker's gymnastics unitl 4:30. I love to see my little ones active, doing all the things that I did as a child. We arrive home at 5 p.m. just as Bob is pulling into the long brick driveway that leads to our beautiful home. Our property is surrounded by three pastures for our horses. The kids all jump out of the car saying a quick hello to Daddy as they race to the stables to see our newborn foal Cinnamon Box, he is named after a pony that belonged to my Grannie Hallie.

I always help the kids saddle thier horse and clean out the stalls while we wait for our instructor to get out to the house. The kids love helping pour the feed and spread the hay, I am usually in charge of the not so fun "duty". Bob walks out to our south pasture with our instructor and she takes over with the kids while Bob and I fill the trophs with fresh water. Alyssa is as graceful as a bird on her 3 yr old white Arabian. Alyssa named Missy all by herself. The boys usually get bored with riding and end up playing some catch with Bob or practice hitting a few balls out into the field. At 6:30 the kids and I rally up the horses and give them a quick brush down and let them graze while we head in to dinner that Bob has prepared.

Bob has made us his famous stuffed shells and a fresh ceasar salad. We eat our food and talk about the day, and our plans for tomorrow. When dinner is done the kids do the dishes and Bob and I bring the horses in for the night. Homework starts at 8 p.m. and Bob and I usually take turns moving from room to room helping them so that each child gets some one on one time with each of us. After the kids have had thier baths and brushed thier teeth we all say goodnight and tell our children how much we love them and how proud we are of them.

Bob and I make our way to our bedroom at 9:30 p.m. We take a hot bath together in our over sized jacuzzi tub, and mull over the day with a glass of red wine. At 10:30 Bob and I slip into bed and off to sleep. Its been a great day!!