Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Key to Writing a Powerful Vision Statement

I want you to take some time and figure out what your life would look like if it were perfect......

What would you wear?
What would you drive?
Where would you live?
What would your house look like?
What would your furniture look like?
What would you do during the day?
How many kids would you have?
Who are your friends?
What type of food do you eat?
What do you do for fun?
Who do you want to be?

If there were no limits at all, what would you want to be your truth? Think about it and then write it down. It doesn't have to be organized thoughts at first, just start somewhere. Make a list of five or ten things that would make your day perfect and go from there. Once you have your ideas down on paper it will be easier to sort them out and write your vision statement.

When writing your vision statement you must write in the here and now. Write as if everything you are saying/thinking is true at this very moment. Use the words "I am" not "I will be". For instance, when I place a trade I am not buying 1000 contracts of SPY, depending on how close to expiration Friday we are that would cost me $300,000 - $550,000. I would need $1,000,000 in my trading account before I would even think about placing a trade like that. But I wrote it as if I was doing it yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Figure out what you want and write as if you already have it.

The next key to writing a powerful vision statement is to make sure it gets your emotions going. What is the root word of emotion? It's motion. Emotion induces motion. Sounds weird, I know, but it is true. When you are emotionally involved with an idea or thought, little sparks (more ideas) go off that trigger you to take certain actions. This whole process subconsciously leads you in the right direction to accomplish your vision. You may end up taking steps and doing things that you would have never imagined (like running a marathon). They are all means to get to the end results you are looking for.

Once you have finished writing your vision statement, you should read it and get excited. It should "turn you on" and make you feel happy, excited, and grateful. If it doesn't, rip it up and start over. If there is no emotion, there is no sense in wasting your time. Get your emotions going, find out what your burning desire is and go after it.

The final key ingredient to a powerful vision statement is vision. This should come as no surprise, hence the name vision statement. As you are reading your vision statement you should be running the picture through your mind like a movie. See your movie as if you are living it. This is where it gets tricky, don't see yourself living it, see yourself as if you are living it. For instance, when I read my vision statement I don't see myself sitting on the stairs putting my shoes on like a ghost hanging over my own shoulder. I am actually me in my movie and I see my feet as I tie my shoes. Don't watch yourself in the third person, be yourself. Live your vision as you read your vision statement. Like I said, this is the tricky part, if anybody needs better clarification or has a question, just post it and we will discuss it more.

No comments: