Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Today's Teleseminar

I must say I am very lucky and grateful that my employer, managers, and fellow employees are flexible with my work schedule. Because of their flexibility I was able to take an hour and 45 minute break in the middle of the day to attend a teleseminar that I signed up for. I try to attend 1 or 2 seminars every month. I always walk away feeling empowered and enlightened. Today's topics were centered around "success" and "principles of success". The host of the teleconference was Jack Canfield. Some of you may recognize his name from the movie "The Secret" and some of you may recognize him as the co-author of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series. Either way he is a well respected mentor and success coach.

After reviewing my notes this evening I have made a list of things that I want to share with you. I will start with his success principle #3: Decide what you want & be very clear. He says to have a vivid image of what you want and how you will feel when you have "it". He says that most people do not get what they want because they never actually sit down and figure out exactly what it is that they want. I think this success principle goes hand in hand with what I have been harping on for months, get your vision statement written. How can we expect to get to where we want to go in life if we don't even know where it is that we are going?

When Jack says "feel how you will feel when you have it", he is talking about the emotion. Remember what I said previously; emotion = motion = results. Emotions drive the subconscious mind and the subconscious mind is like a navigation system steering us towards the results that we are looking for. Focus emotions on joy and happiness and the definite picture of the life that we want and that is the direction the subconscious mind will steer us.

January is the perfect time to review our goals and vision statements and make the modifications for the upcoming year. I know 2009 is going to be a great year. The harder a ball falls, the higher it bounces and we (the world as a whole) are due for a bounce. There is a quote that James A Ray says that has been ringing through my ears for a few weeks now. It is from Ancient Text and it goes; "In times of change the learners will inherit the world, while the learned will remain beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists". I think it is just brilliant. It is amazing to me how it is so relevant to today. 2008 was definitely a "time of change". Years from now students will undoubtedly be learning about it in History class. We need to learn to adapt and prosper in this new environment that has been created.

I saw my hairdresser after work for a new hair-do and she was telling me how her husband had decided a week ago to go back to school. He had already graduated with a film degree a while back, but he makes a living as a welder. With the building/construction field at a standstill (in Central Florida) work has been sparse. I think the above quote is perfect for him. He has chosen to be a "learner" not the "learned".

To be a "learner" you do not have to necessarily go to college full time. You can pick a topic to learn about and read a few books, remember a library card is free. You can take a single class at the local Community College. You can attend a seminar. Anything you do to better yourself is a step in the right direction. Lets take the next few weeks in January to put our revised vision statements in writing and revise our short term goal list. Lets make sure we do all we can to have a great 2009.

No comments: