Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Today's Adventure


ughhh.....I was so excited this morning to meet up with the local organic farmer that I met last Saturday. After dropping the kiddies off at school I headed straight to Deland. The place was a MAD HOUSE!!! I was not able to find my farmer. There were several produce tables set up with very reasonable prices on their goods, but after walking around and observing for about 45 minutes I decided to leave empty handed. I wouldn't call the morning a complete loss, I had a nice walk and got my daily does of vitamin D from the Florida sunshine.


After leaving the farmer's market I headed to a newly opened organic store in Daytona, called Access to Organics (http://www.accesstoorganics.com/). I heard about this little place at the raw food class last week. I must say I'm kinda lovin the place!! The owner, Richard Buffington, was super nice. He spent a good hour talking to me about everything from sprouting, to juicing, to recipes, etc... I left feeling much more knowledgeable and with some great items in my hand.


For years I have wanted to grow my own sprouts. At the raw food class last week they told us how easy of a process it is, they even sent each of us home with a container of almost ready sprouts. All we had to do was take them home, rinse them, drain them, then do the same the following morning and they would be ready to eat. I ended up throwing mine away a few days later because they looked different than the typical alfalfa sprouts that I am used to, I wasn't quite sure how to eat them and they started smelling a little rancid. Richard was able to get me up with a glass sprouting jar that had a mesh lid for drainage, organic sprouting seeds, and fool proof directions on how to sprout. If all works out as planned I should be enjoying my sprouts in a few days.


Access to Organics is a must see for anyone local who is interested in eating more healthy. They sell a nice selection of organic veggies, organic raw seasoning, seeds, books, and even gardening supplies. The owner is very sweet and you can see his kindness gleaming in his eyes. They even offer the occasional educational class for people who are just getting started and looking for guidance.


No comments: