Monday, April 4, 2011

Quite possibly the GROSSES substance on Earth

Bee pollen granules are said to be so nutritious that human life can be sustained on a diet of them and water alone. Bee pollen is a superfood full of essential vitamins, minerals, protein, & anti-oxidants. After doing many hours of research I decided that I needed some.

Last Thursday & Friday I chatted with the owner/head bee keeper, Tim Durham, at Durham's bee farm inc both via email and via phone. I also asked the lady at the local health food store a million and a half questions, until she finally pawned me off to someone else. I did plenty of research online. I found out that some of the larger bee pollen/honey companies had been found to add soy to their bee pollen to cut production costs, $50 worth of soy is equal to about $3000 worth of bee pollen by weight.

My body does not react well to soy, so I decided to find a local bee farm to buy my bee pollen from. In our phone conversation Mr Durham had told me that I would know if the pollen granules were fresh by the smell. He said they would smell like fresh country air. After much research and indecision I found Tropical Blossom Honey Co in Edgewater FL, which is a short driving distance from home. They have fresh raw honey products and fresh bee pollen granules. I chatted with the lady for a while and asked her many of the same questions that I had already asked Mr Durham and the lady at the health food store. She confirmed all that I had been told and promised there was no soy added to the granules. I was sold! I felt like I hit the jackpot, finding a small local bee farm to buy from.

Mr Durham had recommended that I start out with a very small amount instead of the recommended teaspoon full in the morning due to my history of environmental allergies, so the first few mornings I took just a few granules and chomped them up. The taste was a little "yuck" to say the least, but I could smell the fresh country air when I sniffed so I figured it was worth it. Yesterday morning I was ready to step it up a notch and went for a half teaspoon full. I thought I was going to choke!! It was so GROSS! All I can say is that in large quantities it tastes like it came straight from the bee's a$$!!

The nutritional value is definitely what I'm looking for. I'm just going to have to take it slow, very slow, one granule at a time. My friend, Jami, says it's an acquired taste and he actually likes/loves it. I watched him eat a teaspoon full right in front of me and he said it was good!! I hope that I can one day soon do the same, but for now I will be choking them down one granule at a time.
I may try blending it up into a smoothie to mask the raunchy flavor. The funniest thing was watching my husband take an entire teaspoon full. He didn't see me gagging on my spoonful. He said it tasted like he was sprayed by a skunk, which is a complete exaggeration. It was hilarious!

2 comments:

Ry's Mama said...

That sounds so gross!! I had not idea that there was so much nutritional value in bee pollen...I love the idea of raw food/eating local thing...I am trying to incorporate it into our family too.

Tonya said...

Katherine
You should definitely try some raw foods. They really are super yummy!! At the raw food class that we took last week they fed us seasoned kale chips. They were super tastey!! I have not made them at home yet bc I hv not bought my food dehydrator yet. But they are high in iron, taste so much better than potato chips, and much better for you.
Keep me posted & let me know if you come across any great recipes!!!