Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My 1st Attempt at RAW LASAGNA

I have been craving more raw lasagna every since I ate the one Lydia made. It was so so good!! Today I decided to "Just Do It". At first I was a little intimidated by all the steps; making the cheese, making the sauce, and then prepping the lasagna. It proved to be easier than I thought and I was able to whip it together in less than an hour.

First I made the "Macadamia-Spinach Ricotta"

1.) 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
2.) 1/4 & 1/8 cup of water
3.) 1/8 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
4.) 1 clove fresh garlic (chopped)
5.) 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
6.) juice from half a lemon
7.) 1 cup of fresh chopped spinach

Blend all ingredient except spinach in food processor until smooth and creamy. Empty into a bowl and add the chopped spinach. Stir spinach thoroughly into mixture. Set aside.

Sun-Dried-Tomato Marinara

1.) 2 Roma tomatoes
2.) 2 Tbsp cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
3.)1/2 Tbsp agave nectar
4.) 3 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
5.) 1 clove fresh garlic (chopped)
6.)1/2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
7.) 1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
8.) 4-5 sun dried tomatoes

put all ingredients into food processor and blend into marinara sauce consistency, then set aside

Raw Lasagna

1.) 2 small-medium sized zucchini
2.) 1-2 Roma tomatoes sliced thin
3.) Macadamia-Spinach Ricotta
4.) Sun-Dried-Tomato Marinara

Slice the zucchini into long thin slices ( I used a vegetable peeler). In a glass dish layer zucchini slices about 3 slices thick. Then add layer of thin sliced Roma tomatoes. Spread a layer of the ricotta, followed by a layer of marinara. Then repeat the layers.
Dehydrate for 1 hour in an oven set on the lowest possible setting and keep the door open so temp does not get above 112 degrees.

When Lydia made this she added a layer of thin sliced mushrooms and some very finely chopped onion. My raw lasagna was delicious and it definitely curved my craving, but the next time I make it I will be adding the mushrooms and onion and maybe a little cracked pepper.

I have come to realize that raw food recipes can be altered and changed any way you want and they still taste great. Think of any recipe that you try as a baseline and personalize it my make it your own. When shopping for my ingredients this evening I checked Publix and 2 health food stores for raw macadamia nuts, nobody had them. I was dead set on having this for dinner so I came home and used a combo of the raw nuts that I had in the kitchen. My 1 cup of macadamia nuts actually ended up being a 1 cup mixture of raw cashews, raw sunflower seeds, raw almonds, and raw pecans!!!!

** Agave nectar a natural sweetener used in many raw recipes. It comes from the same cactus as tequila. It is readily available at any whole food/healthfood store, but for my friends and family in NNY it may be a little harder to find. It can be ordered online by googling "raw organic agave nectar". For the sake of this recipe you could probably substitute the agave nectar with raw honey. I hope some of you try this recipe and let me know how it turns out.

No comments: